Sunday, February 23, 2014

Out with the Old, in with the New

It is really easy to say you have changed as a person and let go of the things in the past that have weighed you down, but to actually do it, to completely let go of everything, is the most liberating feeling in the world. Although I have been letting go piece by piece in the time I have been here, I feel like in the past few days I can finally say I feel free. I can't decide what sparked this change, maybe it was the fact that my phone memory was full and I deleted all of my old messages and voicemails or the fact that I finished all my papers and mid-terms that had been stressing me out at the beginning of the week. Regardless of what it was exactly, I can honestly say I have completely let go. I am happy and having the time of my life in London. There are so many great things I have to look forward to in these next few months and even years and I am so excited to embrace every minute of it.

But like I mentioned I spent most of this past week writing papers. I had three due on Thursday and I only gave myself three nights to write them. So unlike me but when in London, right? Who has time for actual school work? Once the insanity of Thursday was over though it was time to relax and have fun again. Thursday night a group of us went to Dirty, a club in Soho. It was a lot of fun and we danced until about 2am. It was a much needed break after a crazy week.

On Friday I had work in the morning (it was a little rough) and then I met up with Perri, Helen and Rena at Free State for the afternoon. On Friday night we went to a roof-top bar, Madison's Cafe, which is Scott's go-to spot. He had said it was amazing and he wasn't kidding. The views were breathtaking. One whole side of the bar was all windows overlooking London. There was an outdoor seating area too where we sat and had a drink taking in the views. Absolutely wonderful! Such a nice low-key and classy night out. Could we really expect anything less from Scott though?

Saturday morning was warm and sunny so I got up early and went for a long run by myself around our area. It was really nice just to run and explore, not worrying about time or work. A lot of the flowers are blooming which is so pretty to see and there were so many people sitting on benches talking. So lovely. I was walking around Russell Square Park after my run and met up with Perri who was going on a run too. We continued together and then did some arm strengthening exercises. We are trying to get buff for spring break. We were joined by this older man who started doing exercises with us. He was in jeans though and struggled to keep up so decided to let us be. He was funny. That afternoon we did some work and then that night we went to a bar/club called the Horse and Groom. It is a real challenge to pick places to go because the websites make it seem one way and when you actually get there it is often different than you anticipated. That was the case on Saturday but we made the best of it.

Perri and I decided to leave early so we walked to the bus stop. Of course we had to wait for it to come but we actually found the right one we needed. After waiting about forty minutes in the cold we finally got on. Little did we know Charly and Kyle had left about 20 minutes after us and went to a different bus stop. Everyone else left 20 minutes later, saw them on the street and told them they were at the wrong bus stop. They all preceded to get on the right bus and to their surprise there was Perri and I. WHAT?!? I seriously don't understand how this happens. Perri and I left so much earlier than everyone else, waited in the cold and somehow all ended up together. Classic night bus.

Today we did a little shopping to pick up some last minute things we needed for spring break. We leave on Friday!! I am so excited. We are headed to Portugal and then Spain for the week so hopefully it will be sunny and warm.

An update on my internship: not much has changed. No one talks to me and no, I am not exaggerating. It is so weird. The other day I was making tea in the kitchen and this woman walked in. I said hi, she looked directly at me and didn't say anything. I had no idea what to do it was so awkward. All I have been doing is research and compiling media lists for upcoming events and projects. It is just a lot of the same even though I have asked to try other things but it will be alright. I am already almost halfway done so I can stick it out for another couple weeks.

I probably will not be able to write another post until after I get back from spring break so for all of you amazing people who actually take the time to read this you will most likely have to wait two weeks. Sorry. But I am sure my spring break adventures will be great!

On a more serious note I just want to take a minute to acknowledge, John Durkin, an American from Bates College studying abroad in Rome who passed away this week. It is a tragic story and one that really hit home for Perri, Helen and I. We realized just how fortunate we are to be so close and to know that we are watching out for each other no matter what.

Have a wonderful week everyone.

X.


No comments:

Post a Comment