Sunday, March 30, 2014

It's a Squirrel's Life

Symphony Time 
Once you have lived in London for an extended period of time you begin to notice subtle things that others may pass by without a glance. I have seen many strange sites since being here but one of the most interesting things I have witnessed is the relationship between people and squirrels. Yes, squirrels. I thought the ones in Worcester were weird, always darting in front of you when you're walking to class and creepily staring at you from the trunk's of trees, but the squirrels here are living the life. Let me set the scene for you:

I'm sure this happens in all London parks but particularly in Russell Square Park, right at the end of our street, there are people that climb through the bushes summoning squirrels to feed. The call they use is unique, I am not quite sure how one learns it. Maybe there is a secret squirrel society, the SSS? We can never be sure, but you must understand the power that is obtained once you have mastered the call. Squirrels come from all over, climbing up and down people's arms and legs waiting for little scraps of food and nuts to pop right into their mouths.

If you aren't used to seeing this it can be very shocking and a little alarming that the squirrels are willing to get so close to humans. But can you blame them when all they have to do is sit back with their little legs up waiting for the next person to come along and feed them? I'd have no problem coming back as a London squirrel in another life.

My Saturday 
As weird as I may sound I promise this is all true. Anyways... On Saturday Helen and I went to Portobello Market (yes again) and sat outside at a cafe for hours reading in the sun. There were a ton of people walking around the market and various musicians playing along the road. Zoe met up with us and we shopped our way back up the crowded street. It was really nice and peaceful sitting outside with the sun shining down on us as we took in the sites and people. We left the market and decided to go to Oxford Street, the main shopping street in Central London. We were in the shopping mood that day apparently. We went into a couple stores, tried on armfuls of clothes but none of us bought anything exciting. The UK sizes are confusing and misleading so trying clothes on just becomes a depressing and overwhelming experience. I guess it is good though since we don't need to be spending all of our money on clothes!

Tonight we went to the London Symphony. This was my first time going to anything like this and I really loved it. The music was beautiful. The first half was a little slower but the second half had a pianist who commanded the stage and stole the show. It was incredible how fast his fingers were moving. The whole experience was great and I am so glad I went. Lots of clapping too!

I wish I had more exciting things to share but it was a fairly uneventful week, which is good I guess. We have a lot planned for this week coming up though and next weekend is jam-packed with activities so we are looking forward to that. Also, let the countdown begin for my parents arrival in London: 11 days!! I am so excited for them to come and show them around the city.

XX.

No comments:

Post a Comment