| Madison's Cafe |
They got here on Thursday morning while I was at class but took a long nap, to help with the jet-lag, and by the afternoon they were ready to go. We walked to Regents Park to see all of the beautiful flowers and sat on a bench in the warm sun. They were so excited it was actually warm and that the flowers were already in full bloom, unlike back at home. We walked around my area a little more that afternoon and went to a few furniture stores (my mom was ready to ship a lot of stuff back home but restrained herself). That night we went to Princess, the pub Helen and Perri and I always go to, before dinner. My dad loved it and we went back a few more times while they were here. If he lived here it would be his hangout for sure. For dinner we went to a Greek restaurant down the street from me that I have been wanting to go to. It was delicious. I was definitely spoiled getting to go to all of the places I have had my eye on but never got the chance to get to.
![]() |
| Regents Park |
On Friday we got a jump start on the day and took the tube down to Westminster to see the London Eye, Big Ben and walk along the River Thames. I must say I was a little hesitant with how they would do on the tube since they are not the best city people but boy was I impressed. They did great! I showed them once how to swipe in and out and they picked it up so quickly. By the end they were pros.
I feel like they fell in love with London as much as I have in just the few days they were here and I could tell, despite all of the people and the faster pace, they didn't seem overwhelmed at all. They are already planning to come back again just the two of them. You really gotta love this city. It can make the most unlikely people want to keep coming back.So back to Friday... they saw what I would say are some of the essential London tourist spots and really liked them. We almost went up in the London Eye but the line was really long so instead we just walked along the river and ended up at Borough Market. I forgot that although there is a lot of meat there, it also has amazing desserts and produce. They loved it! We got a bunch of different things to share and they couldn't get over the fact that there are markets like that set up all the time. We walked around some more that afternoon and ended up in Victoria, so they got to see where I have been working. We had a late lunch in the area and then went to Buckingham Palace, which is literally two streets over from my office. Who knew? I realized a lot of things were a lot closer and that places even existed after walking around more with my mom and dad. Very eye-opening. We took a tour of the Mews at Buckingham and then walked through Green Park and took the bus back to my area.
![]() |
| This guy got oysters at Borough Market |
![]() |
| In the Mews of Buckingham Palace |
On Sunday my mom and I went to Camden Market in the morning, my dad unfortunately, had food poisoning (from the vegetarian restaurant, yes, I know seems ridiculous but the poor guy was down for the count). We let him rest while my mom and I walked around the market. I had only been one other time, at the very beginning of the program, and I have to say I don't remember it being as awful as it was on Sunday. It was a lot of cheap touristy junk but it was still fun walking around and letting my mom see another area of London. We had lunch at the market and then sat in the park in the afternoon. My dad was able to join us too. We went to Freestate that afternoon too which was another highlight for my parents, getting to see the place I spend so much of my time. My mom and I went out to a great Italian restaurant that night and got pizza, my first actual pizza since being away and yumm did it taste good!!
Today I had to go to class in the morning but my mom and dad took the tube, all by themselves, to Kensington and walked around Hyde Park and the Kensington Palace. We met for lunch and then went to Harrods, the big department store, which I actually hadn't been to yet. It was impressive but all high end designer clothes and accessories which got old pretty fast. At least we can say we have been though. In the afternoon they took me grocery shopping, the nicest thing ever. We have enough food to last us till the end of the program and it is really great stuff. We are so excited!Tonight we went to Madison's Cafe, the rooftop bar overlooking the city for dinner. I have only ever been for drinks so actually sitting and eating was nice. Huge shoutout to Scott for telling us about that in the first place, it really was a great and classy place to go for a relaxing night out.
We were so busy the whole weekend but I think they were really able to see the best parts of the city. I could not have had a better time with them here and I am so glad they were able to come. They really are the best. I loved hanging out with them and getting to show them around. It was tough saying goodbye but I know it will be a quick month and then I will be back home again.
Only two more weeks left in London and then 2 weeks of traveling and I am home. Where has the time gone? I have a lot of work and finals to study for in these next two weeks but we are determined to go out with a bang and have an amazing last weekend and week coming up. My parents took all of my clothes home with them so the only clothes I have left are the couple of things I am traveling with after the program. It will be a challenge to see how it goes wearing the same things over and over again, but it will be good for me to rough it a few weeks.
Have a wonderful rest of your week.
XX.



No comments:
Post a Comment