Monday, May 5, 2014

Amsterdam

Everything I write here is honest. If it seems like I have been having an incredible time this past semester then I have been doing this whole blog thing right, because I really have. This experience has opened my eyes to so many wonderful things and I have been able to see more than I ever imagined. So readers, I am going to be honest once again. Amsterdam was more than I expected it was going to be and at the same time worse, in many ways.

I came into this trip very hesitant, knowing we all had different expectations. Mine, I guess was a bit too hopeful. Things don't go as you plan and that's alright because it means you just have to improvise and make the most of every situation, even if it is not the way you imagined it. Luckily, for me, Amsterdam is a city that has so much available to see and do. It is a gorgeous canal town. I didn't let the situation stop me from experiencing and seeing everything I wanted to and had a great time doing it! 

I am writing this now, on my last night here, on our little balcony getting bitten by bugs, because I had an amazing day today and I couldn't wait to share. I went to the Keukenhof flower fields, about a 45 minute bus ride outside the city, to see fields of tulips. Yes, this is a real place and it was magical. I knew this was something I had to see while I was here and I'm so happy I went. I spent three hours on this beautiful, sunny and finally warm day, walking around in fields of tulips. They were all different colors and types, so many I didn't even know existed. For those who don't know, tulips are one of my favorite flowers so this was a dream come true. It was nice to get out of the city on my last full day here and I was able to do it surrounded by flowers. I walked around the gardens for a long time and then sat in the sun to have a snack and people watch. I really wished my mom could have been with me because she loves tulips as much as I do and it is a great place to share with someone. I will have to come again with her. 

But instead, I bought tulip bulbs that they will dig up from the gardens and send to me in September when they can be planted! Tulips from Holland in our yard... does it get much better? 

I did a lot of touristy things here and it honestly helped me learn a lot since the streets are kind of confusing with all the canals. It made it easier than just wandering aimlessly around, even though I did a lot of that too!! There are over 1,000 bridges in the city of Amsterdam and over 100 canals. All of the homes also have gables on top because the buildings are so narrow they have to hoist furniture in and out of the windows! Pretty neat. On my bus trip today I also learned that the airport, Schiphol, means ship- hell because when they were draining the area to build the airport they found a lot if sunken ships, which resulted from the rough water there. Interesting! Ok sorry, enough with the history lesson.

So these past 5 days have been extremely relaxing. Lots of sleeping and reading which was nice after going non-stop not only this whole semester but in Scotland too with all of our hikes. We slept late and went to bed early and lounged around our great apartment that is just a little outside of the center of town. The perfect location.  

Even though it was relaxing, I still explored the city a lot too. We went to the Van Gogh and Anne Frank Museum and took a boat tour through the canals. The Van Gogh Museum was really great. We were able to see a lot of his work from different periods of his life and other artist's work as well. The Anne Frank Museum was unbelievable. We got to see the actual rooms Anne lived in and the postcards and cut-outs she decorated her walls with, which were still up. I had to keep reminding myself that 8 people lived there. It was an incredible experience. The lines for both of those museums were so long. We waited almost two hours for each but they were worth it. 

The canal tour was also great and a nice way to take a tour of the city. We were able to see it from a different perspective and learned a lot about some of the historical buildings along the way. Being on the water was great and it was nice to sit back instead of walking. 

I did a lot of exploring in town and came across some really cool shops and places to sit and to eat. Amsterdam is bigger than I thought it was going to be but it was pretty easy to navigate and the trolleys are always around to take you back to the central station if you got really lost. 

Don't let my somber beginning make you think that Amsterdam wasn't amazing. It was! Absolutely beautiful and so many great things to see. Although I was by myself a lot, even when there were people around me (if you know what I mean) I had a wonderful time. 

We are off to Prague tomorrow, my last stop on our travels. I can't believe how fast the time is going but I know by Saturday I will be more than ready to go home. I hope you are ready for me America!

Until then. XX. 










No comments:

Post a Comment