I am sitting on a plane, on my way to Paris, next to an older woman who won't stop talking to her friend about anything and everything (so annoying). BUT I'm on my way home so I can't complain, too much.
So Prague: My last stop on this journey and it couldn't have been a better place to end an amazing time abroad.
The city it beautiful and old but in the best way. The architecture is so ornate and there are sculptures and statutes everywhere depicting some pretty interesting things and lots of bridges. The main one, Charles Bridge, connects Old and New Town to Lesser Town (don't let the name fool you, there is nothing lesser about it). On Charles Bridge there were lots of artists selling handmade jewelry and paintings, so many amazing things.
I have to take a minute to talk about the level of skill and passion so many Czech people have when it comes to the arts. Wow! They can seriously make some beautiful pieces. And they are all so excited to show you and tell you exactly how all of their pieces are made in great detail. It was really nice. Also a great selling tactic because how can you say no when someone spends so much time talking with you. I can't at least. Let's just say I bought a lot of things but all totally necessary. Right?
It's alright though because for once the dollar is appreciate in Prague!! I think I said that right, appreciated? I should know Miss. Economics. Yea, okay. But anyways unlike the ridiculous exchange rate for the pound in London, in Prague one Czech Crown is only 0.5 cents. Five Cents!! So great.
We did a lot of wondering around and exploring, always in search of the perfect coffee shop. I'm not sure if we found it but a couple of them came really close. One, in particular, was a chocolate coffee shop. The hot chocolate was a mug of warm melted dark chocolate with coconut milk. Ill let you wipe the drool off your face. It was amazing!!
The city is pretty small and rather compact so getting around wasn't too confusing. Although we didn't do a ton of touristy things, we still saw a lot. There were long stretches we spent just sitting and reading, either in a park or in one of the coffee shops. We did see the castle that sits on the hill though and it was really pretty, the views from there were breathtaking.
We were able to meet up with Sam, a friend of Emma and Marlena's from home who is studying in Prague this semester. What a guy! He showed us around a lot of the city and told us some of the history. He took us to the best gelato place in town and to a really cute local pub last night. We were also able to see beautiful peacocks just wandering around in a park he took us too. Definitely a highlight of my trip. Sam, if you read this, thank you!! You are great.
I do have some pretty exciting news to share as well. I finally made it though a pub crawl and actually enjoyed myself. Don't worry, I'll clarify, it's actually a funny story. We had no intention at all to go out while traveling. We were/still are exhausted from many late nights out in London but we had heard many great things about the Prague Pub Crawl so we decided to check it out. We had a little push though. On Wednesday night we were walking home and ran into the guy who owns the apartment we were renting. Really nice guy who was super helpful. But when we saw him on the street Wednesday night (it should be noted he was not sober!!) he made us feel really bad that it was only 10:30pm and we weren't going out. We went home and bought the pub crawl tickets for the following night. We regretted it when the time came of course. At 8:45pm we didn't want to go out but we dragged ourselves there and actually had a really great time! We danced super weirdly at the final club and all of the friends we had made quickly dispersed... Oops. But oh well we had fun anyways and I made it through the whole thing! I'm really proud of myself.
Prague was a relaxing and beautiful place to end my adventures. I am tired, my feet hurt from walking around so much but all completely worth it because I had an amazing time.
It was sad to say goodbye to Helen and Perri this morning, since we have been inseparable since January. I know they will have many more exciting experiences ahead though and we will be reunited before we know it. I'm really excited to go home. I don't know if it has hit me quite yet that in just a few hours I will be back. Once I see my smiling parents faces waiting for me though I think reality will set in. See you soon everyone!
XX.


No comments:
Post a Comment